The law provides that an "island annexation" initiated by a City must be approved by LAFCO and protest proceedings are waived if the following requirements are met:
- Annexation is proposed by resolution of the annexing city.
- The island is 150 acres or less in size.
- The island is surrounded or substantially surrounded by the annexing city or by the annexing city and adjacent cities.
- The island is not a gated community where services are currently provided by a community services district.
- The island is substantially developed or developing based on the availability of public utilities, presence of public improvements or the presence of physical improvements on the parcels within the area.
- The island is not prime agricultural land as defined in Government Code Section 56064.
- The island is receiving benefits from the annexing city or will benefit from the city.
- The island was not created after January 1, 2000.